Sunday, September 4, 2011

La Montagne

The Feeling I carry with me right now is this. 

I've worked very hard and walked a very long way to get to a mountain. I'm finally here, standing in front of it. It looms so far above me that I can't see the peak, it's covered by the clouds. I've given every ounce of my concentration and determination to get here. 

And now I have to climb it. 

I signed up for this climb and I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I'm having a magnificent time so far, climbing this mountain and hitting my stride. But at the same time, it's still a mountain looming over me, filled with unknown challenges and obstacles. Instead of climbing gear I have packed my fears, hopes, expectations and sense of adventure. On the ground I have left the security of the known and understood. Without looking down, I climb up and up, preparing myself for anything that's thrown at me. 

So far I've been given all I can ask for. My pace is steady and I grow stronger with every step forward. I have my fears, but they grow weaker every minute. 

When you put yourself in a position of chance--to live halfway across the world when you know no one and the language is a mystery...you find that you have jumped off a cliff and it's taken every ounce of courage and determination you have. You hope it's enough to fly. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'll see you when I step off the other side of the mountain, then ready to take on my own set of Himalayas. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Meg;

    It sounds as though you are having a wonderful adventure. Seeing lots of new places. Enjoy it. Take lots of pictures. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written Megan!

    ReplyDelete